Friday, June 18, 2010

Shrek Goes Fourth

It is the simple Truth that most studios feel that it is pretty much necessary to create as many sequels to a successful film as physically possible. I love the Shrek characters, and personally it is probably the sort of film that I, myself, would probably revisit on a number of occasions. It is filled with characters that are ultimately loveable and/or quite funny, and a great premise for satire. 

I would not, however, make a sequel like Shrek Goes Fourth

I was up to date on the critical reaction to this film weeks before I went to see it, (only doing so because there has been nothing better in my isolated area for the past month or so), so I was not expecting anything spectacular. I was, however, hoping that the movie would be as funny as the first two, (and indeed even the Third). I was hoping that the characters would be as entertaining as they had always been. 

I was rather disappointed on both of these levels, (plus all the other levels, though I knew I would be). It certainly had some satisfyingly funny moments, but most of the jokes presented were simple and not entirely intelligent. The character of Shrek wasn't even quite there. At some point in the movie he loses his character a little and becomes the average comedy actor. It's a mixture of not adding anything new to the character since the first movie or two, and taking away some of what it already had. 

All the supporting characters were generally what created most of the funniest parts of the films. Most prominently is Donkey, and Puss in Boots, whose relationship with Shrek and each other is always entertaining to watch. This means that the writers decided to sacrifice a lot of the fun when they chose to set almost the entire film in a time that the relationships between these characters DO NOT EXIST! Both characters still have their moments, but they really could have had a lot more. 

The Shrek films generally put a lot of effort into the relationship between Shrek and Fiona as physically possible. In this one, they have not changed, except for the fact that the relationship wasn't particularly touching, nor believable. Again, it had a couple of moments, but apart from that the whole aspect of the movie was unspectacular, (not to mention Shrek's attempts at wooing her made me actually look away from the screen a few times. I'm sure this awkward effect is what they were aiming for...sometimes awkward is just awkward). 

Na matter what you may say, the story is an incredibly important factor in any film. The story in this one is a bucket o' shizz. I'm sure it's creative and different in it's own way, but I still find it to be quite incredibly dull. And what an ending! The best thing about the ending is when the little fat kid talks. Apart from that, it's what you knew was going to happen from the moment you read the first three words of the blurb, and it's not even particularly emotional. I was still sitting there hoping something better was going to happen before the credits rolled, but nay, nothing presented itself. 

But I've seen worse. At least it was kind of worth my while. I wish I'd got a discount, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment